Monday 6 April 2009

Corporation Pop - Contact Report
















Before Christmas I started approaching a number of companies trying to get some feedback on my work, I began e-mailing a number of people trying to spark a conversation, here is one company that I spoke to called Corporation Pop in Manchester city centre:

Email Messages:

Hi David

Sorry for the late reply -
been snowed under with work and getting in those last few holiday days before Christmas,
Ill have a chat with the guys here and see if myself or somebody else can fit you in Ill try and get back to you by tuesday as Im off till then

Regards Martin


On 28 Nov 2008, at 10:46, david croucher wrote:
Hi Martin,

I know it is a bit out of the blue but, as part of my course I am required to try and get some industry feedback and so I was wondering if you, or anyone else at Copop would be interested in seeing some of my work whether it be me visiting your studio or sending you some work? It would only have to be say ten minutes or so just so I could show you a few pieces Ive done and get a few comments on what you like, dislike could improve on etc!

Thanks very much and hope to hear from you soon.
regards
David

--- On Wed, 26/11/08, Martin Wood <martin@copop.co.uk> wrote:
From: Martin Wood <martin@copop.co.uk>
Subject: Re: HI!!!!!!!
To: davecroucher4@yahoo.co.uk
Date: Wednesday, 26 November, 2008, 1:29 PM

Hi David

Its worth searching amazon for some after effects books and getting a couple - The problem with web tutorials is they become quite linear and don't allow discussion around the techniques your using - ie how to use the same technique to create a different effect or use it in a different situation. I personally have always found books a better alternative.

Also Its always good to have something to pick up when your render window says approx 60mins.

My role in the company is mainly on the multimedia end The company was mainly Design for Print and I was taken on to expand the skill base into web / multimedia and video.
So from being a motion graphics graduate - I retrained myself into web design, html and css coding, virtual world design, 3D modelling etc....

If you have a love of interactive deign its just as satisfying whatever area your working in - well thats what I find anyway.
I still get chance to work in Video - not as often as I'd like but with the spectrum of work that comes through the studio I still get to keep a hand in with the Print side as-well.

I came out of Uni eyes wide open knowing that the larger your skill set (and also your talent) the easier it would be to find work in the industry.
( I originally started on the graphic arts course and transferred after the first year to multimedia because I understood I would need a larger skill base especially with the shift in the industry to a more digital environment )

Hope this is useful.






On 25 Nov 2008, at 17:29, david croucher wrote:
Hi Martin, Thanks for the advice. I have a bit of a confession to make, I'm actually doing my degree at the Stockport college campus, LJMU run the course but ive only actually been to LJMU once at the start of the 3 years! but will be going again in June when we graduate! lol. so again, sorry to get your hopes up.
As for the animation my room is full of sheets of paper already! and been using lots of cutout 2d puppets for it aswell, so lots of arms n legs all over the place! do you know of any good tutorial sites for 3d animation within after effects? that is my next task on the piece.
If you dont mind me asking what is your main role in the company? and is it the area you intended to go into after uni?

Regards
David



--- On Tue, 25/11/08, Martin Wood <martin@copop.co.uk> wrote:
From: Martin Wood <martin@copop.co.uk>
Subject: HI!!!!!!!
To: davecroucher4@yahoo.co.uk
Date: Tuesday, 25 November, 2008, 4:56 PM

Hi David

Always Nice to hear from a fellow JMU lad - I was on the multimedia arts course and graduated back in 2006, couple of years ago now.
Hows 68Hope Street - still a shack? or has the new building gone up now?

You Still got Carole and Ian tutoring?

We work in all area's including Web Design, Animation, Video, Virtual World Design But the company's main background is in Design for Print.

Bit more detail needed if you want a few tips but if your working to a soundtrack....
always a good idea to open the waveform - If its got a heavy beat you can Beatmatch using It.
Oh and lots and lots of tracing paper for stop motion, ha ha.

____________________________________

Hello,
I'm very interested in your company and really like some of the work you produce, i especially like the Arts council 05 piece with the candles, and the warehouse project video.
I am a third year multimedia design student on the BA hons degree at LJMU, and before this I came from a national diploma in graphic design.
I am currently working on a self directed brief that comprises of an advert for 'Tomorrows World' using hand drawn techniques, stop motion and after effects.
What areas do you mainly work in as a company? do you have any advice on stop-motion or working your animation to a music track?
Any reply would be much appreciated.

regards

David Croucher
Multimedia design (BA hons)
LJMU

____________________________________

Regards Martin Wood
Corporation Pop
22 Lever Street
Manchester M1 1EA
Telephone 0161 228 7772
www.copop.co.uk

No comments: