Wednesday 18 March 2009

Nexus Productions - Portfolio Review


On Wednesday the 4th March whilst in London I had a portfolio review with Nathalie from Nexus Productions. Nexus is a creative studio that mainly focuses on adverts and short animated films and is named by the popular creative industry blog Motionographer as being in the top 20 cream of the crop list. After having a few minor problems finding the studio I met Nathalie and began a grand tour of the whole building, of which there was 4 floors! she explained what went on in the different rooms of the building and explained that the day I had come was relatively quiet and that if I had come a week earlier the whole place would have been full. We made our way into one studio where there were two of her colleauges were working and they briefly showed me the sort of stuff they do and then asked to see some of mine.
I showed my work to them on my laptop and they seemed quite impressed, especially with my Tomorrows World piece, and asked lots of questions on how i did certain things and why I chose to do certain things. They asked what area of design I wanted to go into and, as I wasnt sure, we talked about the different areas available and how broad or narrow different jobs can be. The big question I found interesting was 'do you want to go into art directing or production?' as it is someting I hadnt really given much thought and also I just presumed that you would start off and work your way up to directors role, but I said that whatever I go into I want to be as hands on as possible.
After speaking to them Nathalie took me up to the top floor where I was briefly introduced to the directors who were all working away on different things. She introduced me to Jonny Kelly (see my earlier post about his work) as I had mentioned to her earlier on that I liked his work, and we had a quick chat about stop motion and he showed us some of the colourful paper models/puppets that he was using in an animation which were fascinating!
This ended my visit and as we walked down from the top floor I asked her advice about personal websites and she said that the simpler the better just showing a reel and other choice pieces clearly and easy to navigate, and just before I left I gave her some business cards with a link to my site and she said to keep in touch.
I think my visit was definately a success and I think I got a good insight into how a well respected company works and intend to stay in touch and send them my FMP at the end of the course.














Smith & Foulkes - Coke Advert (Grand theft auto style)
















Smith & Foulkes - Comcast

















Jonny Kelly - The Seed

No comments: