Wednesday 18 March 2009

Mitch Walker - Portfolio Review

My 2nd interview on the 25th Feb was with a freelance director called Mitch Walker who has been in the industry for many years and worked on lots of high profile advertising campaigns. After introducing myself again I showed him my work on the laptop in chronological order. He started with feedback on the Pole to Pole title sequence by saying that he thought after seeing the other work this was definately the weakest piece and explained that something he tells a lot of students and graduates is; when you are designing something for tv, you should carefully consider your layout and composition, because, as your sat at your computer working on it you are viewing it all the time at a matter of 15-20 inches away from the screen! whereas watching the tv sat in your living room you are usually a good few feet away from it! he said this was a key flaw on my title sequence because up close you can read the text that appears on the page but from further away you almost certainly woudnt make it out. I think this is a very valid criticism and something I didnt really think of at the time of making it. He also went on to talk about my Tomorrows world advert by saying that he thought it seemed a bit long and that this was because it is all one long shot, coming from an advertising background he said that a snappy re-edit would really improve the piece and break it up abit. Again I think this is very true as it was something I tried to overcome when making the piece (which is why I used the semi-3d sections to try and break it up abit).
We went on to talk about getting a job in the industry and how to get noticed, his opinion was (which is quite contrasting from other professionals i have spoken to) to try and give people a print version of my work or a disk with my reel on it, that could be handed to people or sent in the post to studios, which would perhaps just have some still shots of my work and a link to my website and other contact details. I think this is a good idea but was thinking more along the lines of business cards that I can hand to people with web address etc on it, because quite a few professionals say that they get sent hundreds of disks and cant be bothered playing them, because its much easier to click on a link and view your work online.
Overall I liked Mitch, he seemed to be bold enough to give an honest opinion and some decent advise rather than just saying that they look nice! I think I will take pole to pole out of my portfolio for now and in future to remember the target audience a bit more. He ended with saying overall he liked my work and thinks I could do well in the industry, and that he wanted to stay in touch.

No comments: