Wednesday 18 March 2009

Brenden Dawes - Portfolio Review








On 25th February I attended the D&AD portfolio surgery sessions at the Urbis gallery in Manchester. My first interview was with creative director Brenden Dawes from the Manchester based company Magneticnorth. When I went in I introduced myself and explained where i had come from and where I intend to go, which was good because I had not had any contact prior to the interview to talk to him. I began to show him my work which I had brought on a laptop and showed him my earliest piece first, my joint collaboration called 'Pole to Pole', then showed him my museum mini site, my nandos game, dave ident and finally my Tomorrows world ad. After seeing my work he gave me a bit of feedback by saying that he thought all of the pieces were nice, but as he was coming from a mainly interactive background he was most interested by my 2 flash pieces. He said that my animation (tomorrows world) was probably my strongest piece and after a bit of discussion advised that animation/moving image is probably the best avenue for me to persue as I said that I have started to really enjoy that aspect of my work. He explained that as a company they probably wouldnt be much use to me as they mainly specify in interactive/web work which I saw as a polite way of saying that he wasnt interested in giving me a job, which was fine as I wasnt expecting him to, but he said to stay in touch anyway. I think overall it went relatively well and I think that perhaps knowing that he was an interactive worker I should have focused on showing him that sort of work.

No comments: